Skillet Macaroni and Cheese with Tomatoes
The sauce in this macaroni and cheese is made with cornstarch and no butter, making it relatively low in fat. Feel free to use a low fat cheese in this recipe. For a cheesier dish, use 1 1/2 to 2 cups of shredded cheese.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 2 cups milk, low fat is fine
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar or American cheese, or a blend
- 2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces (2 cups uncooked) elbow macaroni cooked and drained
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions or scallions
Whisk milk and cornstarch in a medium-size nonstick saucepan until
blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often. Stir in
mustard, salt and hot pepper sauce until blended. Reduce heat to
medium-low and simmer uncovered 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in
cheese until melted.
Stir in macaroni, tomatoes, and green onions and heat
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
Scroll down to see related recipes.
Skillet Recipes Index