Chiles Rellenos With Salsa
by Updated April 23, 2017,
Chiles are stuffed with cheese then they're cooked with eggs.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- If using fresh peppers, place under broiler, about 4 inches from the heat. Broil just until skins blister. Let cool in a food storage bag or paper bag for a few minutes. Peel, remove stems and seeds. Cut the roasted peppers or canned chiles in half crosswise.
- Stuff each pepper with cheese; roll in flour.
- In a bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry; set aside.
- In another bowl, beat 3 tablespoons flour and salt with egg yolks until thicken and lemon colored. Fold beaten yolk mixture into the egg whites.
- In a large skillet heat vegetable oil over medium heat.
- For each relleno, Spoon about 1/2 cup of egg batter onto the hot skillet. Spread egg mixture out slightly to make a circle. As egg begins to set, place a filled pepper on top of the mound. Cover with more of the egg mixture. Continue cooking until bottom is browned.
- Turn carefully and brown the other side.
- Drain on paper towels. Serve with fresh or purchased salsa.
Calories per serving: 206
Fat per serving: 13.8g
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
Enchilada Casserole Recipe
Rice, Chile and Sour Cream Casserole
Chiles Rellenos with Cheese