Old Fashioned Chocolate Spice Cake
by Updated April 23, 2017,
This chocolate spice cake is made in one layer, and may be frosted or sprinkled with powdered sugar.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Butter and flour a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream shortening with sugar until light. Add egg yolks and beat until fluffy.
- Sift together the sifted cake flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, salt, and spices. Add the orange peel to dry mixture. Add milk to creamed mixture alternately with the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the melted chocolate until well blended.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into the batter.
- Pour into the prepared baking pan and bake for 40 to 50 minutes.
- Frost with a buttercream or cream cheese frosting, top a dessert sauce, or dust with confectioners' sugar before serving.
Calories per serving: 391
Fat per serving: 16.4g
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
Banana Cake With Crumb Topping
Spiced Chocolate Carrot Cake