Old-Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake
by Updated April 21, 2017,
Photo Credit: Diana Rattray
This strawberry shortcake recipe comes from a 1937 clipping. Serve this delicious dessert with sweetened whipped cream or frozen thawed whipped topping and garnish with whole or halved fresh strawberries.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
*If using fresh strawberries, hull, clean, and slice a pint of strawberries, then toss with 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of granulated sugar and let stand while shortcakes are baking.
- Heat the oven to 425 F.
- Grease 11-by-8-inch baking pan.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk and egg. Mix lightly. Divide dough in half; roll each piece out to fit into the prepared baking pan.
- Place 1 portion of rolled out dough in the greased pan; brush with melted butter.
- Place the remaining portion of rolled out dough onto the first one and brush with more melted butter. Bake at 425° until browned, about 25 minutes. Let cool then cut into 8 serving pieces.
- For each shortcake, split the cake portion and spread sweetened, slightly crushed strawberries between and on top of split cake.
- Serve with whipped cream.
Calories per serving: 328
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
More Strawberry Cake Recipes
Strawberry Cake with White Cake Mix
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
How to Make Stabilized Whipped Cream