by Updated April 6, 2017,
Photo Credit: Diana Rattray
This flattened turkey takes a little preparation, but it cooks in only an hour and 10 to 15 minutes. I used a wild mushroom sage infused olive oil, but a garlic olive oil or plain would work as well.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 15 Minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 35 minutes
- Line a large jelly roll pan or broiler pan with foil. Grease the foil.
- Put the turkey on a surface, breast side down.
- With sharp kitchen shears or a sharp knife, carefully cut down each side of the backbone; remove the backbone.
- Rinse the turkey and remove any bone fragments and excess fat pieces, etc.. Pat dry.
- Place the turkey on a slip-free surface, breast side up. Press down on one side of the breast, close to the breast bone, until you hear a crack. REpeat on the other side of the breast. I used a clean towel to keep my hand from slipping.
- Transfer the flattened turkey to the prepared pan.
- Turn the thighs outward, as in the picture, and tuck the wing tips under the bird.
- Heat the oven to 450°. Rub the oil all over the turkey; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Let the turkey stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Roast for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the thickest part of the thigh reaches 165° on an instant read thermometer or oven probe. Let the turkey stand for 20 minutes.
Serves 6 with leftovers
Calories per serving (about 6 ounces of meat per person): 361
Fat per serving (about 6 ounces of meat per person): 14.1g
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
Roast Turkey with Apple-Sausage Stuffing
Turkey Salad Recipe
Turkey Noodle Casserole Recipe
Baked Turkey and Ham Hash