Coconut Cream Pie
by April 12, 2017,
Photo Credit: Diana Rattray
This fluffy coconut cream pie is topped with whipped cream and toasted coconut. Or use frozen (thawed) whipped topping or Dream whip to finish the pie.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Tips: Use frozen thawed whipped topping instead of freshly whipped cream.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the cornstarch, granulated sugar, and salt. Gradually add the hot milk, whisking constantly.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat. Whisking constantly, bring the filling mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and continue cooking until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Beat the eggs in a small bowl. While whisking, add about 3/4 cup of the hot milk mixture. Add the egg mixture to the saucepan and continue cooking, whisking constantly, for about 2 minutes.
- Pour the mixture through a metal sieve into a bowl and then add 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract and the 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Cover the surface of the custard mixture with plastic wrap to keep it from forming a skin. Let the filling cool thoroughly.
- Stir 1 cup of the coconut into the custard and then spoon it into the cpp;ed pie shell. Cover the pie and refrigerate to chill thoroughly.
- Put the remaining 1/2 cup of coconut in a large dry skillet and place it over medium heat. Cook, stirring and turning constantly, until the coconut is golden brown. Immediately remove the toasted coconut to a plate to halt the cooking process. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whip the whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add the sifted powdered sugar and the remaining 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Beat to stiff peaks.
- Spoon the whipped cream over the chilled pie filling, spreading to the crust and mounding in the center. Sprinkle with the cooled toasted coconut.
- Cover loosely and chill thoroughly before serving.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator, loosely covered, for about 3 to 4 days.
Calories per serving: 290
Fat per serving: 20.3
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
Lemon Chess Pie
Pineapple Chess Pie
Old-Fashioned Pie Crust Recipe
Cranberry Apple Pie