Apple Brown Betty
by Updated March 28, 2017,
Photo Credit: Dianaskitchen.com
This delicious apple brown Betty has long been an American favorite. The apple dessert was first mentioned in print in 1864. It's similar to an apple crisp, and it's a great way to use day-old bread crumbs. This recipe is a typical Apple Betty dessert with some orange juice for extra flavor. Or use apple juice if you'd like.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- Heat the oven to 350 F. Butter a shallow 1 1/2-quart baking dish or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine bread crumbs, sugar, lemon zest, and cinnamon in a bowl; set aside.
- Arrange half of the apple slices in the prepared baking dish. Top with half of the bread crumb mixture. Repeat layers, ending with the remaining bread crumb mixture.
- Combine the melted butter with the orange juice; drizzle evenly over the casserole.
- Bake the apple Betty in the preheated oven for 45 to 55 minutes, until nicely browned and apples are tender.
- Serve with freshly whipped cream or thawed frozen whipped topping, or serve the dessert warm with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
Harvest Apple Cakes
Apple Pie Cake
Frosted Apple Bars
Fresh Apple Cranberry Cake