Easy Skillet Recipes
Pasta, Cheese, etc.
Soups and Stews
Recipes From Visitors
Ghana Jollof Rice
This easy chicken and rice dish is seasoned with a little cinnamon and cayenne. It's easy to put together and cook in a skillet or Dutch oven.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
- 2 cups water
- 1 broiler chicken, about 3 1/2 pounds, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 (14.5 oz each) cans stewed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup cooked smoked ham, diced
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, quartered and trimmed, or 1 1/2 cups frozen green beans
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Pour water into a large Dutch oven or other cooking pot. Add the chicken, tomatoes, salt,
and pepper. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer
for 30 minutes. Stir in ham, rice, onion, cabbage, green beans,
cinnamon, and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil; recuce heat to low, cover, and simmer until the chicken is fork-tender and the rice is cooked, about 25 to 30 minutes.
Adapted from "The African-American Kitchen"
Calories per serving: 580
Fat per serving: 28.9g
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
Scroll down to see related recipes.
Cajun Chicken and Rice Recipe
Orange Glazed Chicken with Rice