Easy Skillet Recipes
Pasta, Cheese, etc.
Soups and Stews
Be the first to rate this recipe below
African Beef Stew
Sweet potato and peanut butter give this beef stew African flavors. Use lean beef in this beef stew recipe, and serve with crusty bread and hot cooked rice.
Prep Time: 18 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours 18 minutes
- 2 pounds stew beef, cubed
- 1 large can (28 ounces) tomatoes
- 1 bell pepper, cut in strips
- 1 rib celery, sliced diagonally into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into cubes
- 2 medium carrots, sliced diagonally into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 yellow onion, halved and sliced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- parsley, for garnish, optional
Combine the stew beef, tomatoes, bell pepper, celery, potato,
carrot, onion, sweet potato, salt and tomato paste in large saucepan or Dutch oven;
well. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hour. Stir occasionally and add water, if needed. Stir in cayenne pepper and peanut butter.
1 hour longer or until vegetables and beef are tender. Add the peas and simmer for about 5 minutes longer, or until the peas are tender but still bright green. Ladle the stew onto large platter and garnish with fresh chopped parsley. Serve this delicious African beef stew over rice.
Calories per serving: 477
Fat per serving: 20.5
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
Scroll down to see related recipes.
Beef and Lamb Recipe Index